This is a completely unique technology of growing organic vegetables at home, a true innovation of the twenty-first century. Homeland new seedlings growing method - Japan. There is nothing surprising in this. Firstly, the Japanese are simply obsessed with the idea of environmentally friendly products, and secondly, they cannot afford large plots of land. Land in Japan is a commodity as expensive as it is scarce. Student T. Hasegawa designed the device on the basis of a plastic container in which luxurious fruits grew. Soon the method of growing tomato seedlings in five-liter bottles was adopted in the post-Soviet countries. In fact, the garden on the balcony - what is bad? It turns out that plastic egg-flaps are equally well suited for picking young plants, and for getting tomato bushes.
Brief description of the method
This is an effective and economical way to obtain high-quality material for planting tomatoes. At the same time, germination of seeds is not carried out in the soil, but in ordinary toilet paper. Pure shoots that are not soiled with earth, it is easier to dive. Similarly, ready young seedlings easier to finally planted in the ground. If you are preparing seedlings in a city apartment, this approach is convenient and, from a hygienic point of view. The soil will not be scattered, there will be no dirt in the room. You can use this method when growing flower seedlings (marigolds, petunias), as well as vegetables (eggplants, cucumbers).
The first stage is the calibration of seeds and keeping them in a strong solution of potassium permanganate (15 minutes) for disinfection. Now you can do the preparation of a kind of soil for sowing seeds. We will need:
- Plastic bags (suitable for those used for garbage).
- Toilet paper.
- Plastic bottle in 1.5 liters with a cropped neck.
The procedure is as follows:
- Cut the packages in the form of strips of 100 mm wide, and toilet paper - strips, each of which is equal to the length of the package.
- Put the paper on top of the bags, sprinkle with water.
- Spread the seeds over the paper at 40 mm intervals.
- Fold the resulting strip in a tight roll so that its diameter matches the diameter of the plastic container.
- Pour 3 cm of water into the bottle, put the roll in there.
- The resulting container must be put in a well-lit place. Shoots will appear in a few days.
You can germinate tomato seeds and other, so-called horizontal, way.
- Cut the clear plastic bottle lengthwise.
- Line the halves with several layers of toilet paper.
- Place tomato kernels between layers.
- Sprinkle with water.
- Wind plastic wrap over the halves of the bottle and place in a well-lit place. Additional watering is not required due to the greenhouse effect.
We continue the experiment
When two small leaves appear on sprouts, the young plant must dive - transplant into individual pots. As a rule, two sprouts of tomatoes are planted in one pot. This is especially true for tall varieties. If you plan to grow dwarf varieties in plastic containers, prepare for each sprout a separate pot.
Experts advise to use peat pots, because you can plant a plant in the ground with them. However, this requires additional material costs. Therefore, to save money, you can use ½ liter plastic cups. Another way to save money is to use plastic bottles with cut necks for planting planted sprouts.
Growing Tomatoes in Bottles
Planting tomatoes in growing bottles on the balcony is done when the seedlings reach the age of 50-60 days. Hardening, despite its usefulness, can be neglected, since the plant will develop in the room. Now prepare the container for planting. Cut off the bottom of a plastic liter container (about a third). You will need only that part of the bottle, which is with the neck. Take out the grown-up bush of seedlings from the cup and place it in the trimmed bottle so that the roots are in the container and the top comes out. Now fill the tank with fertilized, good quality soil and water the plant abundantly. It is convenient to hang a design like a flowerpots.Important! Do not overdo it with watering, because tomatoes are grown indoors, and a wet environment is favorable for the reproduction of microbes that can negate the entire crop.
You can land decimated plants in five-liter containers. There, the plant will develop before harvesting.
Popular varieties for growing on the balcony
- Balcony miracle - a popular undersized variety. Fruits with excellent taste. The plant is resistant to late blight, to cloudy weather. No need for pasynkovane.
- Room surprise. Compact (no more than 500 mm) plant. Differs in good germination and productivity.
- Riddle. Low-growing variety (no more than 400 mm). The ripening period is 85 days. Fruits are tasty, weighing up to 100 g. The variety is resistant to overcast weather and diseases.
- Bonsai balcony has a height of not more than 300 mm. The fruits are small, round shape, with excellent taste. The plant is productive, it looks very attractive.
As you can see, there is nothing particularly difficult in making your own garden on the balcony. You will be able to provide your family with tasty and healthy tomato dishes without any special expenses.